Whole30 Rules and REcommendations:
Rules plain and simple!
1. Do not consume any added sugar, real or artificial. Simply put the only sugar you should consume is what will be found naturally in fruit and a few starchy veggies.
2. Do not consume any alcohol. Not even for cooking. Be on the lookout for wine added to mustards ~ off limits.
3. Do not eat grains. This includes the following: Quinoa, corn, rice, wheat, barley, sorghum, sprouted grains, oats, millet, bulgur, and all gluten free pseudo- cereal grains like quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat. Grains are tricky ~ be on the lookout on labels for ways that grains get added in – usually under the guise of words like bran, starch, germ.
4. Do not eat legumes or beans of any kind. Black, kidney, white, refried/pinto, etc. NO beans. That includes PEANUTS/PEANUT BUTTER, PEAS, CHICKPEAS, LENTILS. Also NO SOY in all its forms: soy sauce, miso, tempeh, edamame, tofu, and watch labels for terms like soy lecithin.
5. Do not eat dairy. Whether it comes from a cow, sheep, or goat.
6. Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites of any kind. Be sure to look over this Whole30 resource page titled common additives. https://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf
7. Do not consume anything that resembles a treat, baked good, or “junk food” that has been made with compliant ingredients. In other words, NO ATTEMPTING to recreate your favorite treats with Whole30 compliant ingredients. Here’s a short list of the possibilities: pizza crust, waffles, pancakes, brownies, cupcakes, muffins, tortillas, cereal, or ice cream. Anything along those lines is out.
8. Do not weigh or measure yourself. Whole30 is a health reset designed to help you restore your digestive system to a much healthier place along with helping to establish healthier habits and relationships with food. We want to stay focused on all the amazing results our bodies are experiencing that are not directly connected to a number on a scale. But just so you know, 96% of people do lose weight on Whole30! So chances are you will most likely drop some weight but our goal is to help you achieve great health and quality of life!
Trust the program, trust the process. It has worked for 1000’s of people. Commitment, compliance, and focusing on all the benefits to your life and health are key.
Here’s a link for more on rules and recommendations: https://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules.pdf
© Susan Marks// Life In, Life Out // Certified Whole30 Coach